The Blues beat the Capitals 5-2 in the return of Marcus Johansson
The Washington Capitals did not play their best game of the season against the St Louis Blues. The Caps lost track of the game in the second period and never caught up.
Evgeny Kuznetsov scored first, possibly getting a favorable deflection off Colton Parayko’s stick. Brandon Saad fired back, clipping defenders Orlov and Carlson in his path. Anthony Mantha set up Tom Wilson for a rushing goal, but Ryan O’Reilly found a power play rebound to equalize after one period.
The Blues dominated the second half and were rewarded with two goals – one from former Cap Nathan Walker and another from Brayden Schenn. The Blues added an empty net with thirty seconds left at rego.
The selections lose 5-2.
- The Capitals did not play their best game on Tuesday night. They seemed a little too casual in defense. They didn’t offend much – with or without quality, and in the second half they didn’t seem to compete in any meaningful way at all.
- I don’t want to name names though. With a few exceptions, the Caps played badly (Jensen), or they played well but made glaring mistakes (Orlov and Carlson).
- The Capitals dressed seven defensemen for this game, but the last one was just for decoration. matt irvin did not skate a shift. CapFriendly says he earns $3,750 for the day. A lot of work if you can get it.
- Of the defenders who have played, Michel Kempny did relatively well on shot attempt percentage, but squandered it with two lousy penalties.
- Goalkeeper Vitek Vanecek made that fantastic save in the second half.
VANECEK DIDN’T SAY TODAY 🤯 pic.twitter.com/JAGrqDglr4
— NBC Sports Capitals (@NBCSCapitals) March 23, 2022
- Then a few shifts later, he spit out a rebound that earned ROR a layup goal. That’s Washington’s goalie duality right now. Well, they committed to it.
- Just put in a number before Chris does: the Capitals got 23% of the expected goals in the second period. The Blues therefore owned the remaining 77%. This is one of the worst periods of the season.
- Marcus “MoYo” Johansson was fine. The nightmare scenario for adding Johansson is that he would suck the Caps offense. And although the Caps had no offense in the last forty of this game, correlation is not causation.
- Bobblehead by John Carlson, huh? Good. See you later.
— Good Tweet Pete 🌮 (@peterhassett) March 22, 2022
Hey, I can’t win them all. If the Caps had Oshie and TVR in action, I don’t think the Blues would have trampled on them.
Sabers Friday. We’ll see each other there.
Main photo: Elizabeth Kong