Caps beat blue jackets by far
With 12 minutes remaining in Thursday’s game, the Columbus Blue Jackets pulled their goaltender in an act of desperation. Conor Sheary scored almost instantly, cementing a confident win for the Washington Capitals.
Anthony Mantha scored twice in the first period, setting up for one by TJ Oshie and getting the second thanks to a lucky rebound off the skate of goaltender Joonas Korpisalo. Marty Fehervary exploited a bad line change to make it 3-0 in the second period, but the Jackets fought back with a one-touch goal from Bjorkstrand. Alex Ovechkin scored his 38th of the season with a one-timer on the power play, then Patrik Laine had an unreal deflection early in the third. Connor McMichael got a break in the third period, getting credit for the Columbus own goal.
Columbus retired the goaltender with almost thirteen minutes left, so Conor Sheary scored an empty net almost immediately. Evgeny Kuznetsov scored a power play goal later in the third period.
The selections win 7-2.
Yeah. It’s a Bailamos game.
- In the first period, the puck bounced off the backboards and then off Korpisalo’s skate to cross the goal line. Credit: Anthony Mantha. In the third period, Columbus defenseman Dean Kukan picked up a rebound and accidentally put it in his own net. Credit: Connor McMichael. It’s a lot of bad luck for a not very good team.
- (McMike needed that lucky rebound, though; it was his first goal since Feb. 10.)
- Antoine Mantha has been on fire since returning on March 3. He now has five points (four of which are goals) in his last five games. I’ll just put transparent-millie.png here.
- I really liked Alex Ovechkinpower play goal. It was the usual one-timer from Ovi’s spot, but the pass came from below the goal line. This gave Ovechkin a clear path to shoot. I don’t think that’s the kind of game you can make, but it would be nice if they could give it other looks like that.
- TJ Oshie left the game early in the third period with a lower body injury. Not good at all.
Oshie has played three teams this time. The last lasted 19 seconds. pic.twitter.com/MSJXJ8NKTU
— Good Tweet Pete 🌮 (@peterhassett) March 18, 2022
- Guess I have to complain about the referral calls here. Alex Ovechkin was called for interference when he fired a hit on a live puck against the player with that puck. Dmitry Orlov was manhandled after being hit in the head. Nic Dowd was called out for embellishment because he was annihilated in spectacular fashion. A few calls frown there.
- Technically not a shorthanded goal for the short king, Conor Sheary, but I’ll call it one anyway. Call it poetic license.
— Good Tweet Pete 🌮 (@peterhassett) March 17, 2022
We kind of watched Columbus’ season finale tonight. They have to be like a percent to make the playoffs now.
Anyway, no time to gloat. The Caps have a very, very tough game in Raleigh on Friday. And it looks like they will lose a player for that. Sorry to end on a disappointing note.
Main photo: @Jencapsfan74