Capitals beat Senators 3-2 (OT)
The Washington Capitals have lost six of their last eight games heading into Saturday night’s game against the Ottawa Senators. Could the Caps start to turn the tide and get back into the win column?
Thomas Chabot slammed a practice point to open the scoring for the evening. Zach Sanford burned through his former teammates, hitting a tight home on Vitek Vanecek.
Alex Ovechkin put the Caps on the board with his 28th goal of the season. He tied the game with his 29th. Nicklas Backstrom on the roof in overtime.
The Capitals beat the Senators 3-2!
- It took the Caps over 17 minutes to register their first shot on goal and they all came on the power play. The Sens, who are very bad by the way, held them without shooting at five against five. The offense has apparently completely dried up lately and I don’t think the front line Garnet Hathaway and scratch Daniel Sprong for two consecutive assists.
- People are getting their RMNB jerseys in the mail and it’s super awesome. If you get yours, be sure to take a photo and tag us on social media. If I see it, I’ll retweet for sure!
- Georegtown lost at home earlier today to Villanova in basketball, where the ice was laid for hockey. You could definitely tell. There are few things that annoy me more watching hockey than the horrible home rink.
I feel stylish at the edge of the rink in my new @rmnb sweater.
Hoping for the real Russian machine @ovi8 gonna tear it up tonight.
—Charlie McManus (@CharlieMcManus9) January 22, 2022
- The energy was just completely absent in the second. Matt Murray was very good shorthanded, but I mean the Caps were slipping and barely in the five-on-five game again. Just a listless, somber effort against a team with literally half the Caps’ wins.
- matt irvin and Denis Cholowski were on for both goals conceded for forty minutes. Neither should be NHL players right now, but that’s what you have to deal with when your top three literal defensemen are out at the same time for various reasons.
- Zach Sanford, the owner with potentially pierced nipples, burned his former side with a second-half goal. Was that bullet just an excuse to pick up this story? Yes.
- 700th career game for Carl Hagelin. In my honest opinion it should be traded in to free up space to get a fender upgrade on the deadline. Sorry, Hags. Too many attacking talents keep leaving the roster every other day, it seems, and this team needs a shock.
The Hershey Bears’ Teddy Bear Toss game returned tonight after a two-year absence due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Axel Jonsson-Fjallby scored the scoring goal. https://t.co/4c3gRa8bSg
— RMNB (@rmnb) January 23, 2022
- The captain scored early in the last frame and immediately brought his club to life. A pretty fantastic third period. Big win.
- Capitals apparently considering signing Evander Kane. Sadly.
- Chris Kreider literally scores every four hits. He does not exist. Ignore him. Alex Ovechkin is your true league leader in terms of goals and he is the best. Fantastic pass from Nicklas Backstrom to organize the second of the evening of Ovi.
— Good Tweet Pete 🌮 (@peterhassett) January 22, 2022
Monday against the Vegas Golden Knights is the next time the Caps will participate. The game is the first TJ Oshie will be eligible to come off injured reserve. Hopefully we’ll see some Teej!
Screenshot via NBC Sports Washington