Capitals beat Blue Jackets 3-1
The Washington Capitals entered Saturday’s game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on a rare losing streak this season. Could they ensure that this streak stays just two games?
Aliaksei Protas put a wrist on the roof to open the scoring. Alex Ovechkin scored his 750th career goal to double the Caps lead. Eric Robinson halved the lead in the third. Garnet Hathaway Empty Net.
The Capitals beat the Blue Jackets 3-1!
- Pretty good first period for the Caps and they probably should have won more than one. I’m very tired of the puck hitting the post and not going in. Conor Sheary’s return was stolen twice during the period, once by goalkeeper Daniil Tarasov and once by the crossbar.
- Really good to see Aliaksei Protas continue to produce even outside of the main mission entrusted to it recently. He has four points in his last five games. Viktor Kozlov-lite wants to stay in this team.
- The power play is… always doing * wide gestures *… “that”. Blech.
Coach: I know you’re not playing, but we need you focused and ready to come in at all times.
– Goalkeeper Gear Nerd (@GoalieGearNerd) December 1, 2021
- An even better second to follow up on a good first. I felt like the puck was in the Blue Jackets’ zone the entire period. Without Daniil Tarasov this game is at least 4-0 before the third. This guy is super bendy.
- Alex Ovechkin redo his thing. Ovi is the second fastest at 750 goals in NHL history and Tarasov is the 152nd goaltender he has scored against.
- The Connor McMichael line wreaked havoc in the attacking zone. I really think McMichael and TJ Oshie are very compatible players and when they’re working under the points they’re really hard to contain. Imagine if Mikey could have completed this spin-o-rama move? Yeah.
- Yegor Chinakhov had a goal denied for Columbus with an incredibly obvious offside appeal. Oddly enough, this is already the fourth time this season that Chinakhov has been burned by a goal-knocking challenge.
That goal call just killed me
“What a room it was”
“I imagine” pic.twitter.com/RI6JZ2dGuj
– Dimitri Filipovic (@DimFilipovic) December 5, 2021
- The third wasn’t bad, but it was yet another third that clearly wasn’t as good as their first two periods. The Jackets came straight into the game when they scored and were suddenly sharp for the first time in the game.
- Matt Irwin made his Caps debut. He had an interesting first period. About everything I got on him.
- Ilya Samsonov didn’t need to do much, but it’s good to see him stay strong after being absolutely bombarded by the Panthers fire. He made 17 saves in the win.
- The crowd sang Mr. Brightside at the end of the match. Well done.
– good tweet pete taco emoji (@peterhassett) December 4, 2021
The Anaheim Ducks arrive in town on Monday. Lars Eller is hoping he doesn’t get stuck in a hotel room for nearly two weeks this time around.
Title image via @ davewarner99